DESSC believes that governments can take many actions to encourage ICT-enabled energy efficiency, clean energy innovation, and sustainable growth. While policies will vary depending on national circumstances and cultures, key recommendations include:
- Establish a national strategy or roadmap to unleash the power of ICT to enable efficient use of energy, water, and other critical resources.
- Lead by example to demonstrate the benefits of intelligent technologies and best practices.
- Foster the development of markets for innovative ICT solutions through the use of smart government procurement and by providing incentives for private sector adoption.
- Expand the availability of broadband throughout society to encourage efficiencies and innovations through intelligent connected devices.
- Increase funding for research and development in ICT-enabled resource efficiency and clean-energy innovation
- Improve electricity utility regulation by permitting utilities to earn money from energy efficiency, not just from the sale of electricity.
- Create agreed-upon protocols/approaches for measuring the energy-efficiency and climate impacts of ICT in other economic sectors.
- Empower consumers to be more energy efficient by providing them access to their energy usage data and enabling the deployment of innovative tools.